Whale Season 2016 , Sighting update for July, Hermanus Whale Watching
During the month of July our whale watching tours had a 99% success rate for whale sightings.
- Brydes whales were frequently seen due to the large shoals of fish in Walker Bay
- Humpback whales were encountered on five of July’s trips
- Southern Right whale’s were encountered on 99% of our trips, with numbers in excess of +20 whales on one trip
- Southern Right whales mating was observed 19 times this past month
- Humpback dolphins were seen twice during July. Our fist encounter was rare in term of the size of the pod, +50 dolphins were seen around the boat.
- Common and Bottlenose dolphins were seen on 5 of our trips during July
- Above average, pelagic bird activity in the bay this July.
- A Great white shark was briefly spotted near the boat, and shortly after a whale in the distance started displaying very protective behaviour of her calf
SOUTHERN RIGHT CHARTERS IS CARBON NEUTRAL
Southern Right Charters have given back to the environment by offsetting our carbon footprint.
In an ongoing initiative certified and overseen by the Climate Neutral Group we now manage an effective emission reduction project, where we have reduced our CO2 output and engaged in sustainable way of giving back to the environment.
“We put back what we take out”