So much activity out on the water this past month, the Southern Right Whale numbers in the bay have increased exponentially and many of the trips have extended into marine safari’s with a variety of marine life seen. Read more on our whale watching sightings summary below:
WHALE WATCHING SIGHTING SUMMARY
- Humpback whales were encountered on two of August’s trips.
- Noteworthy interaction between southern right and humpback whales encountered on the 19th August.
- Large groups of Southern Right whales mating observed 42 times this past month.
- Our guests were in awe when they saw not one but 2 Mola Mola Sunfish during the same trip, one of these peculiar fish even came right up to the boat to have a closer look at us.
- Bryde’s whales have been regularly seen during our tours.
- Humpback dolphins were seen 3 times during August. Strangely, we have encountered this species more this year than any other year. Sighting photos that we submitted for identification confirm re-sighting of known individuals.
- Common dolphins were encountered only once in August, there were roughly 130 dolphins in the pod.
- Sightings of Cape Fur Seals and African penguins have nearly been a daily occurrence.